Saturday 16 September 2017

The Kelpie's stripes

I had a few other ideas for the cover of The Kelpie's Heart that I've now had a chance to take out of sketches and into a reality. They're not necessarily right for the children's market but I definitely enjoyed making the art.
Themo H Peel - Kelpie

Themo H Peel - The Kelpie's Heart Cover 2The first is one of my favourite scenes from the book and of Scotland. Just an image of the rolling hills in Scotland on a moonlit night. The wee silver pendent with a celtic knot heart motif engraved in it wending its way through the hillside like a silvery river. There's the faintest watermark of an important rune from the book just under it. Giving a bit more depth to the blackness. It's a lovely image but it's a bit too Twilight Saga for me.

The next is just a fun image. I don't think it would work as a cover at all. I just love the flat panel drawings of the characters. The Kelpie is my favourite but Ash and Ana are dynamite as well. The stylised swirls in knock out really create fun silhouette type figures. I also love Eopa's nasty little tongue. Just a bit of preview of her real self.

Themo H Peel - The Kelpie's Heart Cover 3I think I cracked it with the first cover, personally. It's still my favourite. But there's definitely something alluring about the image of just the kelpie's face on the silvery sea-green back drop. What do you think?

Hope you enjoy!


Buy 'Black Star' or 'Spirit Shear' on Amazon in the UK and US
Check out Themo on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment