Sunday 30 July 2017

Covering Celtic Mythology

I've been playing around with fonts for the cover with the new title. I've come up with a first cover idea that really works with the concept.

My original ideas for the font just didn't work with the Pictish motif. Turns out that a more modern looking black type font juxtaposed against the traditional swirls really made a difference. I created a modified version of another font to create the type. So, I stripped it back to an type only cover and worked up from there. It really helped clarify the problems I was having with the typography.

Here's a rough draft of my first cover idea. Of all the Celtic gods and mythological creatures the Kelpie is by far my favourite. It's exciting to have it front and centre in the title and as an image.



I stylised it in the same way that the horse and kelpie are depicted in Pictish carvings particularly the Hilton of Cadboll Stone which is in the National Museum of Scotland. I've been enchanted with the stone ever since I first saw the Pictish stones there. I didn't want to make the cover to literally reference the stone because, as I said in my previous post, I want the book to look like a book. But I definitely needed to make reference to my inspiration.

I'm going to try and go to other places with the cover. I want to go all out with the Celitic Mythology angle adding in even more obscure creatures and the main characters, Ash and Ana, in some kind of scene. But it be good to do some all type versions and something completely left field.

Hope you like!

Keep growing and keep going!


Buy 'Black Star' or 'Spirit Shear' on Amazon in the UK and US
Check out Themo on Twitter and Facebook

1 comment:

  1. Greate post. Keep writing such kind of info on your blog.
    Im really impressed by it.
    Hello there, You've donhe an incredible job. I'll definiitely digg it and in my view recommend to
    my friends. I'm confident they'll bbe benefited from this web
    site.

    ReplyDelete