Thursday 4 July 2013

unCOVERED

First thing I had to do was work out the font for the titles - a series needs a style. I wanted a bold glyphic font as the various glyphs from the world feature in the book (and the 'O' in 'Project' is the glyph for the project). The font I found, AmazDooM, is quite strong and imposing which conveys the ominous nature of the project. I added a touch of perspective to give it the epic feeling.

I rendered a direct translation of my first concept.

 
I didn't feel like the star was totally necessary and the drama as the background was being lost so I tried the cover without the star.

I wasn't enthralled by this concept once I did some full colour mock-ups though. It's nice and works really well as a poster but not really as a book cover. It's a bit muddy and is missing an aspect of the dramatic - much sharper, high simple colour contrast that you can spot amongst a sea of other brightly coloured books. I did some more sketches but kept coming back to my original concept of just the star and a lightning bolt. But, I realised what I was missing from it was colour. 

So, I applied the concept of the reversed-out star combined with my original concept and came up with something that I really like. 

I'm not 100% sold but I feel this is closer to something that would stand out on a shelf compared to the others. It's more 'comic booky' than I'd prefer, but I suppose, it's what I'd be attracted to if I saw it on a Waterstone's shelf.

What do you think?

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment