Friday 12 October 2012

Canine vs Feline

The machinations of my second book have begun and it's time for the Rhe'zans to appear. Rhe'zans are one of the three sentient races of Arbea.

One thing I've never been certain of is: Are they more canine or feline?

Originally, I began to draw them as definitely having more feline features. I'm more of a cat person, really, so the idea of having giant cat people would be pretty cool. Thundercats... need I say more?

But, then, a lot of the characteristics I'm attributing them closely resemble canines - I always envisioned Rhe'zans warriors to be big pa have the posted ears of a Doberman Pinscher.

I love the Pinscher profile - ballpoint pen
Lions and Tigers (and Bears?) - ballpoint pen

I've done some sketches going for more of a Doberman look, but I'm not entirely convinced. I'm leaning more towards going for a 'big cat' look and using whatever ears I bloody well choose.
A bit doggier than before - ballpoint pen
I find I tend to enjoy the look of a ferocious cat to a snarling dog. Can't decide. Although, I do prefer the Doberman style eyebrows to what I'd previously done.

What do you think? Dogs versus cats?

No comments:

Post a Comment